This is DEElish!!!
And is chock full of great vegetables.
We loved it!!!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 strips of smoked bacon, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, washed and finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, washed and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 14.5-oz cans chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 large potato, scrubbed and diced
- 1 cup Romanesco cauliflower or cauliflower florets
- 1 15.5-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups (one 1-qt. container) reduced-sodium vegetable broth, preferably organic
- Large handful curly kale, stalks removed, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup mixed small pasta shapes or broken spaghetti
- Small bunch of fresh basil (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Directions1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the bacon and fry it gently until it starts to turn golden. Add the chopped garlic, onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, leek, oregano, and bay leaf. Cook slowly for about 15 minutes, stirring now and then, until the vegetables have softened.
2. Add the cans of tomatoes, the chopped potato, cauliflower, drained chickpeas, and vegetable broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and cooked through (check by sticking one with a small knife).
3. Add 2 cups of water to the pan and return to boil. Once boiling, add kale and pasta and cook for 10 minutes more, or until the pasta is tender. If soup is too thick, thin it out with a little more broth or water.
4. If using the basil, tear the larger leaves into the soup and reserve the baby leaves for garnish. Season with a little pinch of salt and black pepper. Taste to check the flavors. Remove bay leaf and discard. Divide soup between serving bowls and sprinkle with the reserved basil leaves. Serve the Parmesan in a small bowl alongside to sprinkle over servings. Makes 8 servings.